Just as synthetic and human hair wigs look different, they also require different methods of care. How to care for a wig is similar to maintaining a head full of hair. It takes nurturing and dedication to keep your hair looking good. Caring for synthetic gigs can be vastly different, so pay attention to each method below:
Synthetic Wig Care
- Fill a sink with cool water. Never use hot water as it could damage the synthetic hair and remove any built-in body.
- You will need to add some synthetic hair cleanser to the water. You can purchase this from the wig manufacturer when you order it. Gently manipulate the cleanser in the water.
- Soak for about ten minutes and afterward, use a soft toothbrush to get any buildup that has formed along the hairline.
- Drain the soapy water solution, clean out the sink and then refill it with clean cool water. Rinse out the wig. You may have to repeat this wig care step to ensure all the soap is gone from the wig.
- Once clean, you can lay the wig on a thick towel to absorb the moisture and allow to air dry. If you have a wirehead form for your wig, this would be the best option to dry your wig. For proper wig care, this wire form will maintain the wig’s shape while drying.
- As an added measure, lightly spray your dry wig hair with a synthetic wig conditioner. This will prolong the life of the wig.
- Whatever you do, do not brush your wig when wet or use a hair dryer on it. Part of good synthetic wig care is following these instructions.
Human Hair Wig Care
- For human hair wig care, special shampoo and conditioner are needed to maintain its integrity. Regular shampoos and conditioners can be harmful!
- Fill a sink with cool water and add the shampoo according to directions. Mix lightly.
- Add your human hair wig into the soapy solution and allow soaking for up to five minutes, depending on the product build-up.
- Drain the soapy solution and refill sink with cool water.
- Gently swish your wig to get rid of the soapy and then remove and pat dry with a towel.
- Apply a detangling conditioner like one from the Brandywine wig care kit and slowly brush out any tangles, starting at the ends. Make sure that you have pinned your wig onto your wire wig form so that it can dry and conform to its proper shape.
- Do not rinse the detangler out. Once wig hair is dry, you can style it.